Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

6mm fantasy!

Post subject: Re: 6mm fantasy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Love that hill

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking settlement as well.

Verum Irae II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The settlement came out very cool!

Also like the hill a lot!
A simple but yet effective piece of terrain!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the kind words, it really does help in getting things done.

I had fully intended in having several huge updates by now, including comparison shots for many of the irregular 6mm fantasy range, but I just haven't had the heart to get much done, let alone set everything up for the photographs. Been a little low, and lost a lot of interest in everything.

But I have not been totally slack. I have painted quite a handful of miniatures, most just awaiting basing, or finishing touches.

But I'm especially proud that I actually finished a large project in the space of one evening, even considering the awful day I had that day.

A 3 foot by 2 foot board for Kings of war (6mm of course! ;) )

I have made a huge start on my ratmen army, but the only thing finished so far is the first piece of themed terrain (which matches their bases, but larger) A large area of corrupted blight stones (warpstone™)

The dead grass looks a little thin and flat right now, but I will sort that out once it is completely dry.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good looking set up and nice themed terrain. It's one of the good things about 6mm storing and themed terrain is so much more practical.

Verum Irae II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice terrain work.
I noticed that your terrain work has a preference for large round bases, is there a particular reason that you went this way?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

firebug wrote:
Nice terrain work.
I noticed that your terrain work has a preference for large round bases, is there a particular reason that you went this way?

Yeah two reasons (but one of them is an after thought!)

1) It stores really easy- I have some small CD towers that once they have the bottom half of a CD tray in, will make a easy to use drawer system to store finished peaces, that will be easy to rearrange, depending on the height of the buildings. Makes use of some other wise useless CD towers

2) (and the main reason) I have a trillion dvds that otherwise would have gone in to the bin, and they make for perfect bases. Strong, plastic, and cheap. Plus they match the hundreds of poker chips I brought to use for my tree bases and for army basing. The forests are all on poker chips and allows me to push them really close for bulk trees, or space them out for odd copse.

I wont base everything I make on DVDs, such as the massive cathedral I have, that fits on its own oval base, and my epic ruins will be on squares/rectangles so I can mix them in to a street set up. But for most of my drop down fantasy scenery Its perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone actual has an issue with 6mm fantasy being posted here. I know a few other people post there work in 6mm fantasy (all of them much more talented than me!) but being a primarily 6mm sci fi section, I may consider moving it to its own web page to avoid cluttering up this forum, especially as most of my sci fi stuff is taking a back seat for the time being, as the only sci fi army I am currently working on is being kept offline until more is completed. (mostly because each miniature has to be converted, and it is very dull work!)

Having been off work, firstly recovering from a minor operation, and then this week, on holiday I have blasted through (well, for me anyway!) some painting and have actually accomplished some finished miniatures! I have painted more in these last 3 months than I have ever previously in the entire time I was into Warhammer (since the mid 90s!) so I am pretty impressed with myself so far!

Not only have I been working on my 6mm fantasy, I have also made a big dent in to my work in to my secret Chaos army, by actually painting up the first slot of minis, as well as building an insanely huge titan.

In addition I started painting a couple of 15mm scale Panzers (albeit, incredibly badly!)

I still have an incredible lead mountain for fantasy though, but I am at least pleased getting some colour schemes down, and some bases complete!

I have also been trying to learn how to use my (new) camera better, and using editing software to to clean up my photos, I hope they these appear nicer to your eyes then the current standard of my awful photography in this log!

Includes the ogre/giant creature that got painted up for fun, I think he fits in nicely, thought He will more than likely be replaced by the giant from cobblestone when I get round to ordering him. The hut is a irregular cast from one of the little defence sets they do. Pretty much Identical to the leven miniatures versions, except it needed a ton of clean up, as the mould lines were hideous!

The mushrooms are all hand made and hand painted, the spots wash out in the photos a lot due to the incredible amount of gloss on them to protect them during the basing! I have some larger monsters due up soon and I should be able to get some nice clear shots of them, and then the insane amount of detail on them will be more apparent!

Finally finished up the trees I have had since last year, found an excellent colour mix of forest flock in the local railway shop. The back tree does have a slight frosting from my over zealous use of plasti-coat, but Its not so noticeable in the flesh, but it should vanish completely when I re coat it, just been waiting on a load of minis needing to be done at once.
I only noticed how much static grass is stuck to the trees, once I saw this photo, so I will go back and brush that off!

A test base for my Dark Dwarrows that I started when I was recovering, This is a mix of both irregular dark dwarves, and MWG command dwarves. They are some of the most insanely detailed 6mm figures I have ever tried to paint, and there’s no way I was able to do they any kind of justice! But they are fun to paint, and it was nice to paint a scheme that was more unusual they the normal dark and brooding colours!

An irregular hydra, one of my favourite 6mm miniatures out there. I gave it a real easy paint job as I didn’t think I could handle to do it in two tone scheme, but I may go back and add some more highlights as the photo shows how plain he looks. The puddles took a life time to dry, and now they are dry I will go back and add some reeds, though I may cover up the worst of the two right most puddles as they are rather flat compared to the actual deep puddle that is sculpted on.

The first test base of my 6mm rat swarms, The rest are painted, just awaiting to be based. I also have a KoW horde sized base of rat slaves painted up, they are just awaiting a hero mini to be painted up, and for me to decide on what colour to paint their standard! So that, and hopefully the first of MWG wood elves, is what is in store for next time!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Wow! These are very cool and excellently painted!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Super painting and 100% better lighting for your photography! *thumbup

Especially that test base for Dark Dwarrows (Chaos Dwarfs, right?) is really nice!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Darn may have to pick p some of those dark dwarves myself

Verum Irae II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the kind comments!

@primarch I hope to one day be known for a 'PRIMARCHLOAD' of the fantasy world- Though I have a long, long way to go! ;)

@MrGonzo, yes, chaos dwarves! I just went for a more Tolkien theme naming them!

@Llamhead The dark dwarves from irregular are fantastic, but a couple of notes in case you decide to get some-
1) the army pack (the £12.50 deal) is a good mix of units, but they did include with my mix a lot of 10/15mm scale ogre types (one of which you can see in the goblin army as my stand in giant) They are pretty nice, though need a lot more clean up as they are not so nicely modeled as their 6mm stuff. Plus they including 5 or 6 of them which felt like I got slightly less dwarves when compared to the other deals I have ordered.

2) The dark dwarven spears/halberds are dreadful. The minis them selves as glorious, but the spears have terrible flash that connects all the shafts together. They will need some major work to clean up- so much so that I fully intend to replace them outright as it will be less effort.

They mix in perfectly with the MWG ones, and are joy to paint.

I made a start last weekend on Mrs Rex's Wood elves. They are from MWG, and they are probably the best 6mm stuff I have ever had the joy to paint. The sculpts have some insane details (the faces are just fantastic) and every thing is so well made that it makes them easy to paint! That said, it still took 3 nights work to get them done, and even then they went through a couple of different colours till I got the shades just right! But I'm pleased with them, I just hope I can speed up the painting process for the next few thousand I have to paint! Not that its very notable in the photo, and certainly not noticeable on the table, but there is even yellowy/gold stitching freehand on the inside of the heroes cloak! That's how much I enjoyed painting these!

This weekend I am working on some goblin wolf riders, gobbo artillery, a unit of maw beasts, and I have a skaven slave chariot to finish off (not looking forward to this, as I'm not very good at painting flesh/pink! Argh!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

They look fantastic, great color pattern.

Love them!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just found this thread and I'm blown away! Your stuff is amazing and the info is very useful. I think I will have to start my 6mm fantasy stuff up again.

Cheers
Kieran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wood elfs are superb, also as stated before your picture taking skills have gotten a ton better it makes it very much easier to see the skill you have at painting!!

Well done!
Blind-

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next