Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gamesworkshop FY14 reports (wtf?)

Post subject: Re: Gamesworkshop FY14 reports (da fuq?)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Todderman wrote:
I'm chuckling, heh heh, heh heh. What's that German word about shameful joy?

Hi!

Shaudenfreude (spelling may be off). Means "sour grapes".

I'm having a tall cool glass of it myself. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spelled Schadenfreude. Me too. I don't know if I can ever go back to liking GW after all these years of slowly growing disenfranchisement and mild loathing.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bertnernie wrote:
Spelled Schadenfreude. Me too. I don't know if I can ever go back to liking GW after all these years of slowly growing disenfranchisement and mild loathing.

Hi!

Same here. The only way I would ever consider going back is that the IP is owned by another company.

I see little value in supporting or salvaging GW as it exists now.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Kyrt wrote:
On competition, there is nothing in there whatsoever to acknowledge any impact at all, it doesn't seem to be on their radar. Infringement, yes, but not competition from new manufacturers. New manufacturers don't have retail stores, and that's where new customers to the niche come from (ie growth). A lot is said every year about how GW is on a trend of alienating its customers and this will lead to its demise, but I just don't see it. They've been saying that as long as I remember, it's not new. People get fed up with GW over time and maybe buy stuff from their competitors, of which there are a greater choice perhaps, but all the new customers start with GW. Of course that can change in the future, but there is no indication of it changing at the moment.

Indeed. We are all floating down stream, and while the scenery is changing, we are constantly surrounded by people who all jumped into the river at the same time as us, and so have a limited view of it all. It seems to be the gamers evolution that people come into the hobby (with a small 'h'!) from a GW route, play for a while and eventually branch out. At this point, a lot of people then turn on GW. That said, my local store still has a healthy supply of both GW stock and players, of all ages, and we should be careful drawing an more general opinion based on the demographics of online forums, especially one focussed on the unsupported fourth edition of an under-represented GW game. ;)

I have no desire to see GW fall. I think that the current situation is actually pretty good. If I want a game then I know for sure that I can get a game of 40K at my local store. I don't want to play that, and my local store also supports Dust, Flames of War, and X-Wing. If I want to play behind that, the 'fringe' is mainstream enough to be able to find a group or cultivate group if I try, although I will test this with Epic! GW brings them in, and I am pretty sure that the uptake of non-GW games by players is greater than the shedding of players for the same games (whether that can be said for GW games or not is another matter) and so the 'fringes' are growing as a result of GW getting players into the hobby. Long may that continue.

Post subject: Re: Gamesworkshop FY14 reports (wtf?)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sir, as ever, you talk a lot of sense. I agree that while I may shake my head at what I see GW corporate doing, they have done a lot to progress the hobby forward. Not least of which is to introduce generations to a niche hobby that hides away in darkened rooms a lot of the time!

Post subject: Re: Gamesworkshop FY14 reports (wtf?)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That overall assessment seems valid. And it seems not to contradict voices of concern either. Me, like most old farts (tm), I started with home brewed rules using those crappy prince august moulds. Gw was a great improvement, but for me, they started nothing. But that was before Internet. And microwave pizza.