Tactical Command
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/

Gotrek has gone soft.
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=26316
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Blindhorizon [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:23 am ]
Post subject:  Gotrek has gone soft.

I am a big fan of Gotrek and Felix, William King did an amazing job with the first 7 or so books bringing these characters to life. When nathan long took over i was a little skeptical, i really don't like author changes i do enjoy how one tell's stories about their own creations. I must say though i was fairly impressed it wasn't the same but it was gotrek and felix. I have purchased every book written about them, although i don't buy the short stories, maybe some day i'll take a look.

This new author took over writting, a guy named josh reynolds, he did Road of skulls, it was a decent book but i could feel the character slipping away from gotrek and felix(it really is a decent read though). I have just started, City of the damned, by David Guymer...To say i'm disappointed in the first 30 pages would be an understatement.

Gotrek has hiden in a hole and asked the manling to help cause a distraction so he can stop hiding in the hole....

The next one was Gotrek got knocked over by a half a corpse being thrown at him... he defeated a bloodthirster!!! Some emaciated corpse can't knock Gotrek over!

When did Gotrek start wearing shoes? He takes his boots off and starts whining about how his feet are sore from the road..... WHEN DID GOTREK EVER COMPLAIN ABOUT STUFF LIKE SORE FEET??!!?

Does anyone else read these books and has read city of the damned? I must say it's very disappointing... and to top it off josh reynolds is coming out with another book in april of 2014....

Has GW decided to kill everyting that made their company awesome and just go the mass production route to make stacks of cash???? I do not recommend this book to anyone... i have not finished it yet... i'm not sure if i plan too either.

Blind-

Author:  Spectrar Ghost [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

Wasn't too thrilled with the Long books myself. Readable, but not as good as the Kings. I can only imagine how diluted it feels two authors on...

Author:  primarch [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

Blindhorizon wrote:
I am a big fan of Gotrek and Felix, William King did an amazing job with the first 7 or so books bringing these characters to life. When nathan long took over i was a little skeptical, i really don't like author changes i do enjoy how one tell's stories about their own creations. I must say though i was fairly impressed it wasn't the same but it was gotrek and felix. I have purchased every book written about them, although i don't buy the short stories, maybe some day i'll take a look.

This new author took over writting, a guy named josh reynolds, he did Road of skulls, it was a decent book but i could feel the character slipping away from gotrek and felix(it really is a decent read though). I have just started, City of the damned, by David Guymer...To say i'm disappointed in the first 30 pages would be an understatement.

Gotrek has hiden in a hole and asked the manling to help cause a distraction so he can stop hiding in the hole....

The next one was Gotrek got knocked over by a half a corpse being thrown at him... he defeated a bloodthirster!!! Some emaciated corpse can't knock Gotrek over!

When did Gotrek start wearing shoes? He takes his boots off and starts whining about how his feet are sore from the road..... WHEN DID GOTREK EVER COMPLAIN ABOUT STUFF LIKE SORE FEET??!!?

Does anyone else read these books and has read city of the damned? I must say it's very disappointing... and to top it off josh reynolds is coming out with another book in april of 2014....

Has GW decided to kill everyting that made their company awesome and just go the mass production route to make stacks of cash???? I do not recommend this book to anyone... i have not finished it yet... i'm not sure if i plan too either.

Blind-


Hi!

I'm right there with you. I have read Gotrek and Felix since the first books came out. The recent stuff is terrible. I won't touch another one by that author.

Primarch

Author:  Dwarf Supreme [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

I know this will come as a big shock (tongue firmly planted in cheek ;D ), I'm a huge fan of Gotrek and Felix. I love all the slayer books and enjoyed some of the short stories. I haven't read City of the Damned, but I did read a review which basically says it's awful and it's almost like the current author never read the previous books.

I hate to agree with you Blind, but it does look like GW is yet again ruining something that used to make them great.

Author:  Frosthammer [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

still trying to get thru City of the Damned at the moment - this is the first Gotrek & Felix novel i have contemplated not finishing...the writing is awful, it really doesnt feel like a Gotrek & Felix novel...Blind, i think you have summed it up perfectly...

Author:  Parintachin [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

Peter F. Hamilton.

Have fun (o:

Author:  Spectrar Ghost [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

He is a joy, though I never made it all the way through the Neutronium Alchemist series. Six books is just a lot for a single storyline. And that's the thing - you need to have read the previous books to make sense of what's going on; you can't pick it up in the middle. The Commonwealth books suffer from the same problem, except there are only two. I've made it through them a few times now. He and Alistair Reynolds really do stand out in the space opera scene right now.

Yesterday I picked up The Long Earth, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. An unlikely combination, but I quite enjoyed it.

Why is it we don't have a book thread? I guess I'll have to go create one.

Mumble mumble gotta do everything around here mumble...

Author:  Parintachin [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

They're well worth the ride though - I went from a kevin j anderson trite thing straight into the Commonwealth pentology, and realized that Hamilton has about as many ideas per page as anderson has per volume ...

Author:  primarch [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

Dwarf Supreme wrote:
I know this will come as a big shock (tongue firmly planted in cheek ;D ), I'm a huge fan of Gotrek and Felix. I love all the slayer books and enjoyed some of the short stories. I haven't read City of the Damned, but I did read a review which basically says it's awful and it's almost like the current author never read the previous books.

I hate to agree with you Blind, but it does look like GW is yet again ruining something that used to make them great.


Hi!

Why am I not surprised we like the same things! ;)

Primarch

Author:  Dwarf Supreme [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Gotrek has gone soft.

primarch wrote:
Dwarf Supreme wrote:
I know this will come as a big shock (tongue firmly planted in cheek ;D ), I'm a huge fan of Gotrek and Felix. I love all the slayer books and enjoyed some of the short stories. I haven't read City of the Damned, but I did read a review which basically says it's awful and it's almost like the current author never read the previous books.

I hate to agree with you Blind, but it does look like GW is yet again ruining something that used to make them great.


Hi!

Why am I not surprised we like the same things! ;)

Primarch

Yeah, what a shocker! :D

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/