Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperial Command Center

Post subject: Imperial Command Center
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's alive!!
Man this thing keeps growing, I love it.
Don't forget your origional influence, save some room for the comms dishes. :;):

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good. Nice to see some properly scaled battlefield architecture for a change. It never seizes to amaze me that for some reason the only buildings you see in people's ?Imperial cities seem to be 2 storie structures :p
...Which brings me to the next question: When do you plan to build the rest of the Hive city :D :;):

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(smokezombie @ Jun. 10 2007,19:11)
It's alive!!
Man this thing keeps growing, I love it.
Don't forget your origional influence, save some room for the comms dishes. :;):

Heh! Not much chance of running out of space for all the comms stuff. I can feasibly add them to three locations, assuming that I raise the command blob to sit just below the landing pads. Those being:

1) Short range transmission/reception mounted below the command blob on the main column.

2) Medium/long range transmission/reception mounted on the narrower column above the landing pads and below the air command center.

3) Long range/orbital transmission/reception mounted on the thin column standing on top of the air command center.

Having said that this was the final height I may just add an unpturned flying stand base to the very top and mount a radar on it since that would be kind of a useful addition to something that is supposed to include air command.....

(Warmaster Nice @ Jun. 10 2007,20:12)
Looking good. Nice to see some properly scaled battlefield architecture for a change. It never seizes to amaze me that for some reason the only buildings you see in people's  Imperial cities seem to be 2 storie structures :p
...Which brings me to the next question: When do you plan to build the rest of the Hive city :D :;):

As already mentioned, the ability to bring a true sense of scale to the arena (both in terms of army size and terrain) was one of the things that most attracted me to E:A. It's weird but I've never had any urge towards the "historical" wargames that are out there.
  If I remember correctly, and assuming that ground scale = model scale and that the then computed weapons ranges only represent the effective range of the weapons in a battle situation rather than the tested or theoretical maximum ranges, E:A is 1/5 the scale of 40k for things like vehicles/buildings. So attempting this in a 40k setting would be pretty much impossible without serious engineering, a terrain piece 15' high? That's half as high again as my ceiling.

I'm attempting to convert people from 40k by using the upcoming "Battlezone: Armageddon" ruleset that GW are putting together. This is basically a way to represent massive battles featuring huge amounts of troops and War Engines at 40k scale. The current rumours involve the refocusing of the action from model level to squad/unit level and simplified rules for shooting and assaults. Awfully similar to E:A in concept and that forms the thrust of it. But I digress.....

As to when I'll be constructing the rest of a Hive? Well, the intention was to represent a military base on a non-Hive planet. Plenty of scope for other large structures such as aircraft hangars (my Marauders are going to need somewhere to sleep), Baneblade repair shops, Barracks complex, Parade ground (need one open space at least otherwise it might be a little difficult to game) not to mention all of the smaller ancillary buildings. But let me get this one finished first eh? :;):

-S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

THat rocketh muchly!  The only problem is that its so big youll need lots more terrain to do it justice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With similar terrain it will turn into Coruscant! woohoo!

D.

[b]Bearded Dice[/b]: [url]http://bearded-dice.co.uk[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Hena @ Jul. 03 2007,16:43)
Sytoru, have you managed to do more of this? It's almost a month since last update :).

Very, very little. I've had a couple of weeks where I had to work away from home pulling 13-15 hour shifts and my brother-in-law died suddenly, so I've also needed to be with my family. Damned fool was, as predicted, late for his own funeral. Due to start at midday, he never showed up until 12:10.
  Still, I got back home late last night and caught up on most of my sleep now so I should be back to construction later today and will post updates tomorrow. Promise!

-S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right, I recommenced work last night and finished the basic structure of the command blob and added the edging to the stack of CDs that forms the air command section. Todays plan (before photo's) is to finish all the remaining basic structure work and start, from the ground up, on the detailing work. This will probably involve working down the detail levels over the entire structure, but I'll see how it goes.

In the meantime..... I needed a little light relief and something to work out any kinks after such a long modeling lay off so I stuck a DVD on last night and sat down to create something of a more sensible size. The result was the "Cyclone Missile Defense Emplacement":

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out. The photo's show some little areas that need to be tidied up before I seal the model and paint it. The parts used were simply some card of a couple of thicknesses for the bulk of it, a little plasticard strip for the edging on top of the emplacement and the support strut for the radar, a hacked up Cyclone Missile Launcher from the current 40k Termie box set, the "rim" from the socket of the ball and socket part of a flying stand (such as that included with the 40k land speeder) and the base from an E:A Commissar. I must say that snapping the Commissar from his base and thus breaking both his ankles was rather satisfying. Not that I have problems with authority figures or anything.....
  I'm planning on making a few more of these, with varying weapons systems, to use either as random small terrain pieces or as objective markers for my half of the table. Which is something else that my little group has decided upon. Each player needs to produce 3 objective markers in a suitable theme for their own army and the other terrain that they produce. You then place your opponents objectives. Anyway, that's enough off topic stuff, back to work on the beast.

-S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Groovy - mass produce and sell them! :)

I think your complex should be bombed - anything else doesn't give much cover for the PBI!

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, although mass production could be a problem - I get bored very quickly when attempting to batch produce stuff, would a pure plastic master hold up for resin moulding? However, a set of templates and brief instructions is certainly a possibility. Quick question though.... PBI?? Planetary Bureau of Investigation? As for bombing it I've a feeling it would require an Orbital Lance Strike to take out. ;)

Oh all right. Pic time...

The customary overall shot of the work to date including the usual "for scale" models.

A closer shot of the upper section. The air command now has the main fascia in place as does the main command and control center as well as the upper bracing. The gaps are not going to be a problem once the cladding is added. And there you all were thinking the cladding was either a cosmetic feature or for adding to the structural integrity. Hell no! It's purely to cover up shoddy workmanship!
  The landing pad supports (and other areas) are starting to show some wear from where they are only friction fitted. It looks like I need to get to a stage where I can glue the whole lot solidly together to keep everything on the straight and level.

As you can see the top plate of the entrance level has yet to be fixed in place, this will happen when I get to the stage of applying the detailing work to this part of the model and is next in line after the main entrance which is more visible in this shot. The models for scale comparison are a pair of FW Chimeras, a FW BaneBlade and the Cyclone Missile Defense emplacement.

A straight on view of the entrance. The doors were marked out as a single piece and then cut into two before being stuck back together again, this was purely to produce the indented seal between the two doors. Just don't ask how the two pieces are able to fully slide apart. Physically they could only move far enough apart to allow a single Chimera to enter despite the gap being wide enough to accept a BaneBlade chassis (although it isn't high enough to drive one in and retain the turret).

A 3/4 shot of the entrance showing the additional buttressing on the corridor section leading to the lower level. I am currently undecided on placing pyramidal structures atop each flanking column, so opinions required on that issue please. The alternative is to add gun emplacements instead but considering that this tower is intended to be placed within a military compound rather than directly within an urban environ these may be slight overkill since I aim to place tank traps all around (using those nifty pieces from the base sprues - stolen idea) and a checkpoint on the road running to the entrance.

Whilst it may look like there isn't a massive amount of work having been made today I would mention that the entrance way itself is already constructed from well over 50 individual pieces! Each buttress consists of 3 pieces for a start. The work for tomorrow includes building the parapet between the two columns and along each side of the corridor, adding access hatches to the roof, possibly adding some pyramidal structures to the columns and maybe some lower bracing all around the ground. I also need to added a lip around the door, which while being recessed needs some raised detail around the hole in the wall in which it sits, probably with some form of strip lighting as well.

-S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Woah... :O :O :O  That Cyclone missle emplacement rocks! Very nice work, Sytoru! :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Work is still progressing, albeit it slowly. The entrance is now basically finished and the detailing work is moving onto the main ground level structure. This is likely to remain rather plain with external bracing and a parapet being the main feature, although there will obviously be things such as access panels, hatches and probably an elevator exit onto the roof at this level.

As you can see, the doorframe has been built out and some roof detailing has been added. Everything has now been securely glued to the 2' (ish) square board which became a necessity for some of the detail work that is now in progress. There are a few small gaps at the bottom but by the time the board has been covered with granite chippings these will vanish.
  I've still managed, so far, to avoid using any specifically purchased items with the weird metal blob on the roof being the shoulder armour from a 40k Tau Broadside arm (random spare bit from some 40k conversion work) and the big bracing pieces simply being some cut and filed sprue frame. Having seen the Firebase thread and the use of the lugs from a base sprue as tank traps I've stolen the idea of using that piece for the small "feet" which will run around the ground: 4 per side with 2 on the entrance side for a total of 30 of the little things. If only I were producing this piece for a forced viewing angle display! I would only have to worry about the front 120 degrees or so...... ah well. :)

-S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The doors swing inwards, that's how the big tanks fit in. :)  Keep up the great work.