Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Changes in GW-verse Fluff Tone!

Post subject: Changes in GW-verse Fluff Tone!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, the Orks always had a "comic" touch ... remember though, in RT, it was mentioned that they ate humans ! :o (Gulp!) They can kill us but they can't eat us ... no wait they can !  :o  Regardless of the fluff, I see my IG & SM forces (and any other of the Armies) as heroic troopers lead by well trained and experienced leadership ! :laugh:  I prefer the Hammer's Slammers (to mention one alternate future) universe to G/W's morbid, Orwellian nightmare.  But on the board you can be anything you want to be ... Kelly's Heros or Hogan's Heros it up to you !   :laugh:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I haven't seen the most recent books so if they have reveresed some of their previous trend and tried to preserve the old gothic feel then thats a good thing.

I agree with Jimbo that its very hard to remember when the orks were anything but a silly joke, but I try very hard to not see them in their current light, but as a highly successful warrior race.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One of the interesting things in 40k is the lack of good choices. Sure, the Imperium is xenophobic, racist, repressive and just plain horrible. But compared to the alternative (Chaos; take a look at the description of some daemon worlds) it's not that bad. In Imperium it's probably a lifetime of slavery. With Chaos it's _eternity_ of slavery.

So there is a bad choice (The Imperium) and even worse choice (Chaos).

As for the artwork, I must say I seem to differ with the majority. I hated most of the artwork in the old RT book but that's just a matter of opinion. I hate the style the illustrations were drawn with and I would choose Mark Gibbons over John Blanche any day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just like the two illustrators... and many others... I realy apreciate newer art also, but i sometimes regret the old gritty dirty one... and i was only saying that i think cleaner art and presentation is sufficient to make for a less dark impression. By the way, (to stormseer) John Blanche HAVE made the third edition cover (the book cover).
Mojarn Piett : i always thought the better ones were the eldar, even if completely egoist. But now, the good guys are obviously the TAU. It's not surprising that their look and feel thus look strange compared to the other races ?
"In the 41th millenium, there is only war" anyway, the background was just starting bad anyway it seems...

Athmos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I feel that the Tau don't really belong in the 40k universe. They are so different from the other factions and their technology and look is more "manga" style than real sci-fi gothic. I think they were poorly thought out before added. I dont feel this way with the necron which seem very appropriate in the 40k universe.

Of course its all a matter of taste.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Tau are very futuristic without being Gothic, I like them. I have all the F/W Tau & Kroot.

The Gothic thing is traditional with the 40K Universe, but I feel the Tau are an evolutionary "sign of the times." After all, they are "good guys" and they bring a "new" hope for the future, as opposed to the dark forboding Stalin vs. Hitler archetypes in a never ending xenophobic race war. ?

Maybe the UK writers never got over the split between the Anglican Church and Rome, the meat-grinder of the WWI trenchs, and the early defeats of the British Empire at the start of WWII? ??? ?

Someone pass the Prozac around the G/W staff... :o ?:laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I don't mind the Tau, and will collect them for epic once they are out in metal, but I dont think they necessarily "jive" with the rest of the 40k universe. Granted its nice to have "good guys" in any fantasy setting, but I'm not particularly blown away by their addition.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Random points

* I really dislike Jogn Blanches style of drawing. Give me the newer style artists or Mark Gibbons any day!

* Dan Abnett writes great books. Give them a go, plus maybe Gordon Rennie's BFG novels and the rest a miss.

* I miss the 2nd edition Ork klans most of all. I like Orks to have a bit (but only a bit) of comedic edge. Shokk Attack guns come to mind.

* The W40K universe is still very dark, especially if you look in the right places.

* Squats - They did seem a bit like WFB Dwarfs transplanted across into the 40K universe.

* Wood Elves are getting more feral again from the 6th ed artwork seen in their update and the rulebook. IMHO it was the WFB universe that went comic book in the previous edition a lot more than 40K. It's getting darker again now though.

* I've heard a few people mention the Tau aren't as good as they seem. They will conquer you for the Greater Good whether you like it or not and that the Etherals were a bit suspicious.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 02 2003 Sep.,00:20)
Maybe the UK writers never got over the split between the Anglican Church and Rome, the meat-grinder of the WWI trenchs, and the early defeats of the British Empire at the start of WWII? ??? ?

2 amendments to this statement:

1- It was the decline of the British Empire they never really got over

2- It applies to all Brits, not just GW writers!

Just kidding  :D  Couldnt resist the dig after all I got living over there for 2 years and all the "convict" jokes:

Typical "nuclear escalation option" comeback I used was:
Brit: "Whats it like to come from a Colony then mate?"
Me: "Whats it like to lose your Empire?"
Most Brits didnt see the funny side of that after a few pints at the local!

OK that was waaaaay OT- sorry
Poms- bring on your replies!  :D

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it's quite amusing, but I live in a former British Colony too! ?

Of course when that all was going on, my relatives were in Italy. Doing what? ?

Who knows? All the records were destroyed during W.W.II British bombing raids... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 01 2003 Sep.,17:40)
Hi!

I don't mind the Tau, and will collect them for epic once they are out in metal, but I dont think they necessarily "jive" with the rest of the 40k universe. Granted its nice to have "good guys" in any fantasy setting, but I'm not particularly blown away by their addition.

Primarch

IMO the Tau aren't "good". Let's see: they are only interested in expanding their empire for the "greater good". They have a rigid caste system where a person's place is determined at birth with no chance of ever changing it. They have a despotic ruling class (the Ethereals) who are to be obeyed unquestioningly. Sure, the Ethereals saved the Tau from ripping themselves apart, but how did they do that? By directing their aggression outward into empire building.

Besides, their sudden evolutionary leap and a total lack of psykers (warp awareness) smells suspiciously of certain new threat.  :;):

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, but compared to some of the other races, the Tau seem down right benevolent. ?However we'll have to wait and see ... ????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Good, bad, why do they have to revolve around those two? I LIKE the old fluff where everything was shades of grey and black, just like real life...... ???

...and yes, I'm way to cynical for my own good. :p

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly ... that discribes all the races in the 40K Universe.  And I always use the word "good" in it's broadest possible context ...    :;):

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 02 2003 Sep.,21:58)
Hi!

Good, bad, why do they have to revolve around those two? I LIKE the old fluff where everything was shades of grey and black, just like real life...... ???

...and yes, I'm way to cynical for my own good. :p

Primarch

That's because "bad" is the reality we live in and "good" is something we hope to achieve, but never will. And since hobbies are more or less a way to escape reality I like to see at least some "good" in my hobbies. If I want to see something bad I turn on the TV and watch news... :{

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next