Login |  Register |  FAQ

Vior'la battle reports

Post subject: Vior'la battle reports
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thought I'd start a separate thread for battlereports to not to clog down the vior'la thread and make it's easier to follow the discussions.

Did a first test game last week. It can be found here here.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Vior'la battle reports
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I have started a second test against fellow taccomer Mordoten using tabletop simulator.

He plays marines (will get the list when we continue) and I play the following list.

Code:
Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Tau Vior'la Revisited (NetEA v1.01)
==================================================

MECHANIZED FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [350]
6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish, 2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits, replaces 2 Fire Warriors, Shas'o

SPACECRAFT [200]
Protector Class Cruiser

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [325]
8 Fire Warriors, 2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits, replaces 2 Fire Warriors, 2 Firesight Marksman, Breachers

HEAVY BATTLESUIT CADRE [350]
Shas'el, 3 Riptide

HEAVY BATTLESUIT CADRE [350]
Shas'el, 3 R'varna

PATHFINDER GROUP [225]
4 Pathfinders, 2 devilfish, 2 Tetra

PATHFINDER GROUP [225]
4 Pathfinders, 2 devilfish, 2 Tetra

ARMOUR SUPPORT GROUP [325]
4 Hammerheads, Railguns, Skyray

ORCA DROPSHIP [150]

SKYSWEEP SUPPORT GROUP [225]
3 Skyray Gunships

KV139 [275]
Nexus Missile Array

Mostly the same list as last time, took R'varnas instead of stormsurges. Changed the heavy rail gun for the nexus missile Array.

First turn. Deployment and first activation can be seen here. The space ship bombarded the R'varnas. Two suits took one damage. One riptide was also caught and died to a critical.

Attachment:
2018-03-06 (2).jpg
2018-03-06 (2).jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 466 times ]

M1.2: Droppoding devestators sustain fire on R'varnas. (The pods only put another BM on them) The third R'varnas takes a damage (so they've all lost 1 DC.). They break due to BMs and flee into the woods. They may look a lot like storm surges, but they are R'varnas (couldn't find any models).

Attachment:
M1.2.jpg
M1.2.jpg [ 936.64 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

T1.1 Riptides Marshall shooting devestators for 1BM

M1.3 Empty thunderhawk attacks PF in city for 1 BM.

T1.2 PF in middle doubles to overwatching LS. Putting 3 ML within 30cm of two LS and 2 ML within 30 of the annihilators. Counting on only one getting killed. But the landsspeeders were aces and both hit. 6 units left and 4BM for me and crucially no ML on the annihilators. No shooting as all units in range were suppressed.

T1.3 HH still retains and dbl shoot the LS which are markerlighted for 1BM.

M1.4 Land speeders two doubles and shoots the PFs killing some units and breaking the, They flee back to the central city.

T1.4 BTS FWs (at this point I realized that I have 3 BTS formations :{[] ) doubles forward to shoot devestators for 2 kills breaking them.

M1.5 WH1 doubles towards the middle. Shooting the broken PFs. Wiping the formation through kills and BMs.

T1.5 PF2 from my left flank doubles into middle city. ML on warhound and 1BM.

M1.6 WH2 doubles towards middle. Killing a devilfish from my PFs. 2 MB. Both hounds are now markerlighted.

T1.6 Skyrays advance shooting guided missiles on WH1 stripping both shields.

M1.7 Annihilators dbl and kill 2 HH and the skyray. The two surviving HHs flee towards my left.

T1.7 Supremacy sustains on the WH1. Two nexus missiles hit (hitting on 4+ with ML and sustain). Both hits get through armour and one does a critical killing the titan.

M1.8: BTS tacticals go on overwatch.

T1.8: Orca and gang ground attacks marine BTS. Hunter misses. All my infantry gets into the city with the crisis at the front. They take one OW hit, but it's saved. I shoot back and get some very good hitting rolls. Killing all infantry (SC thanks to sniper from the firesight marksmen) and 3 rhinos.

M1.9: Terminators ground assaults FW intermingled with orca. They kill 4 of my units for none in return. I only roll a 2 and loose by 11. Orca and gang are wiped.

Everything rallies in the end phase.

Attachment:
end of turn 1.jpg
end of turn 1.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 381 times ]

Attachments:
supremacy looking out over the battlefield.jpg
supremacy looking out over the battlefield.jpg [ 953.99 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very cool. TS looks great. Seems like a nice easy way to get pics for battle reports.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heres the list I'm using:

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Codex Astartes (NetEA Tournament Pack 2015)
==================================================

DEVASTATOR [250]
4 Devastators

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Landspeeder

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Landspeeder

PREDATOR [325]
4 Annihilator, Hunter

STRIKE CRUISER [200]

TACTICAL [475]
6 Tacticals, Supreme Commander, Hunter, Razorback

TERMINATOR [400]
4 Terminators, Chaplain

THUNDERHAWK [200]

THUNDERHAWK [200]

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Turn 2.

Marines won initiative

M2.1 Remaining warhound advanced and killed 2x pathfinders. The formation had 4BMs total and 5 remaining units.

M2.2 Retain with devestators advancing and shooting recon for 1BM breaking the formation. They fled towards my left flank.

T2.1 FW doubled shooting the devestators killing the 2 remaining stands. The firsight marksmen laid markerlights on the nearby predators.
T2.2 I retained with the supremacy killing two predators with the nexus missiles.

M2.3 (I think this happened here, but might have been later) thunderhawk shooting but missing HH. They were just rallied so broke from the 1 BM.

T2.3 Skyrays doubled putting ML on warhound hoping to take the shields down. No hits from the missiles though.

M2.5 BTS tacticals (or actually just rhino and hunter) tried to marshall. Failed and regrouped, but still retained 1 BM.

T2.4 Riptides doubled towards the center with one catching site of the WH. One shield was taken down.

M2.6 Terminators stalled a bit and went on to overwatch

T2.5 Spaceship went after the warhound. Both attacks hit doing 4DC, enough to kill the titan.

M2.7 Predators marshalled moving behind close by forrest.

T2.6 R'varnas couldn't really reach anything so went on OW.

M2.7+ LS1 and then LS2 both doubled close to my FW formation encircling them. Only killing a devilfish I think. Retain with thunderhawk2 for a clipping ground assault. However Daniel had placed one speeder within 9 cm of a devilfish enabling me to draw one of the formations into the assault. This got all my units except one to be able to contribute.

To no avail though. I lost four units for two speeders. Daniel won by +6 and I was wiped.

All marines rallied. HH rallied but not the recon.

Attachment:
end turn 2.jpg
end turn 2.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 371 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

turn 3

Marines won again

M3.1 Thunderhawk1 which sustain one DC leaving the board last turn. Attacked the rallied HH from battlecannon range. Killing one and rebreaking them.

M3.2 Full landspeeder formation advanced scout-ZOC-ing the riptides. Doing one DC (no crit) with their multi meltas. (2BMs)

T3.1 Skyrays again doubling ML on preds hitting with one missile, but it was saved.

T3.2 retain with supremacy for another nexus missile salvo. Killing two preds breaking them.

M3.3 LS2 failed activating and regrouped (1BM from breaking).

T3.3 R'varna advanced out of forrest shooting the full LS formation (with ML from the skyrays). Killing 3 they were broken and forced to retreat.

M3.4 Thunderhawk shot skyrays for 1BM (staying out of 60cm).

T3.4 Here I made a critical misstake. I marshalled the riptides but elected to shoot instead of moving into his talbehalf. Only placed a BM on the unbroken LSs.

T3.5 + 6 terminators and BTS hunter both doubled together killing on skyray breaking them. This left me only two broken formations (skyrays and HH) on mordotens half.

He began by failing to rally his broken LSs they moved in between my HH and skyrays to get both within 30 cm. I preceeded to fail both rally rolls. This gave mordoten the victory by 2-0. BTS + they shall not pass.

Attachments:
end of game.png
end of game.png [ 5.44 MiB | Viewed 368 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:08 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Interesting game. Thanks for the report.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just wondering about the points costs on your list. Vior’la Cadres 1.01.pdf

Fire Warrior Cadre: 6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish [225], 2 Crisis Suits [+25 ea, Lose 2 FWs, 1 Devilfish], Shas'o [+100], Breacher [free] giving: 4 FW Breacher Teams, 2 Devilfish, 2 XV8 Crisis Suits, Shas'o for 375 points. Query Crisis Suit upgrade bundled with Shas'o?

Fire Warrior Cadre: 8 Fire Warriors [225], 2 Crisis Suits [+25 ea, Lose 2 FWs], 2 Firesight Marksmen and up to one Devilfish [+75, Devilfish not taken], Breacher [free], giving: 6 FW Breachers, 2 XV8 Crisis Suits, 2 Fireshight Marksmen for 350 points. Query Marksmen without Devilfish 50 points?

Heavy Battlesuit Cadre: Shas'el and 3 Heavy Battlesuits [325]. Query using the points from the draft Epic UK list?

Skysweep Support Group: 3 Skyrays [225]. Query, not a great unit so a points drop?

Looking forward to getting some more "test" games in but work has been crazy busy. And never manage that many games anyway. But Mark is a great battle report blogger so, . . . . soon, . . . . hopefully. Thought I might test some of the global Tau changes first: Crisis Suits with better Plasma Rifles and reduced cost upgrades, Manta with points drop and two main railguns, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Andrew_NZ wrote:
Just wondering about the points costs on your list. Vior’la Cadres 1.01.pdf

Fire Warrior Cadre: 6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish [225], 2 Crisis Suits [+25 ea, Lose 2 FWs, 1 Devilfish], Shas'o [+100], Breacher [free] giving: 4 FW Breacher Teams, 2 Devilfish, 2 XV8 Crisis Suits, Shas'o for 375 points. Query Crisis Suit upgrade bundled with Shas'o?

After thinking about crisis suits I thought that 25 points each is to much. I therefore tried the cirsis upgrade at 25 pts for replacing two FWs. They are somewhat of a liability with taking away mobility (20cm move) and also they replace 2 FWs + 1 devilfish.
So your above example is correct from the Vior'la 1.01, but I tested them slightly cheaper.
I think I'll change it to "replace two FWs with two crisis suits units. One with a shas'el character for + 50 pts" in the next update. + 75 pts to replace the shas'el with a shas'o. That makes them like a commander upgrade leading the FWs.

Andrew_NZ wrote:
Fire Warrior Cadre: 8 Fire Warriors [225], 2 Crisis Suits [+25 ea, Lose 2 FWs], 2 Firesight Marksmen and up to one Devilfish [+75, Devilfish not taken], Breacher [free], giving: 6 FW Breachers, 2 XV8 Crisis Suits, 2 Fireshight Marksmen for 350 points. Query Marksmen without Devilfish 50 points?

I'd like us to test them at 75 points for the formation without the devilfish. Without it they can be transported in an orca. That makes the formation a fair bit more powerful than an air-drop formation in the 3rd phase tau list, with them bringing markerlights. I think paying a premium by loosing the devilfish is reasonable.

Andrew_NZ wrote:
Heavy Battlesuit Cadre: Shas'el and 3 Heavy Battlesuits [325]. Query using the points from the draft Epic UK list?

I couldn't really see why I lowered price it was 350 in the 1.9 list. And with the discussion we had previously on the price of the different suits. I thought 275 was a fair price for 3x Y'vahra + 25 points per upgraded suit to ripted/R'varna gets us to 350 points. So I tried them at 350

Andrew_NZ wrote:
Skysweep Support Group: 3 Skyrays [225]. Query, not a great unit so a points drop?

Yeah I will change the cost in the next update. I think the formation needs a points drop, it's not all that good and it's hard to utilize their markerlights so I think it's reasonable. Tried it out in this game.

Andrew_NZ wrote:
Looking forward to getting some more "test" games in but work has been crazy busy. And never manage that many games anyway. But Mark is a great battle report blogger so, . . . . soon, . . . . hopefully. Thought I might test some of the global Tau changes first: Crisis Suits with better Plasma Rifles and reduced cost upgrades, Manta with points drop and two main railguns, etc.

Any tau testing of either list is much appreciated. :)