Login |  Register |  FAQ

House Rules / Variations

Post subject: House Rules / Variations
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the discussion on charging that is going on, it got me thinking about what other house rules or variations do the various groups or players use. Some of them might be an improvement to what is currently in the rules and could potentially be adopted.

One that we use in our play group is that all the models in a building can fire in all directions rather than only those that have LOS.
I like to think of it as the troops move around the building and up and down floors to deal with incoming threats. If a load of gribbly daemons are bearing down on their position, the guys at the back of the building aren't just going to sit there and let their mates sort it out, they will get themselves into a position to add their firepower to the fight.
Although not a hard and fast rule (page 29 says to assess buildings on a case by case basis), it saves a lot of hassle considering that buildings come in loads of different shapes and sizes, and it doesn't seem to have had any significant effect on the outcome of games.

Anyone else have any to share?

Matt

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: House Rules / Variations
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
With the discussion on charging that is going on, it got me thinking about what other house rules or variations do the various groups or players use. Some of them might be an improvement to what is currently in the rules and could potentially be adopted.

One that we use in our play group is that all the models in a building can fire in all directions rather than only those that have LOS.
I like to think of it as the troops move around the building and up and down floors to deal with incoming threats. If a load of gribbly daemons are bearing down on their position, the guys at the back of the building aren't just going to sit there and let their mates sort it out, they will get themselves into a position to add their firepower to the fight.
Although not a hard and fast rule (page 29 says to assess buildings on a case by case basis), it saves a lot of hassle considering that buildings come in loads of different shapes and sizes, and it doesn't seem to have had any significant effect on the outcome of games.

Anyone else have any to share?

Matt

Hi!

I have used that house rule for building firing arcs, basically from day one. The standard rules for this are too fiddly and sometimes unenforceable.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've always stuck religiously to the standard rule of only being able to see or fire out of one side of the building. Out of interest, does this mean that every unit inside the building could conceivably fire out of one single point of the building?

Clickable links for Epic hijinks:
Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I've always stuck religiously to the standard rule of only being able to see or fire out of one side of the building. Out of interest, does this mean that every unit inside the building could conceivably fire out of one single point of the building?

Hi!

Yes. Infantry have 360 line of sight, they basically retain it inside a building.

I don't even remember the last time I did it the standard way.

I have have not noticed any real impact of the change in games over the years.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:

Primarch

Curious - do you often play infantry-heavy games in dense BUAs? I am generally a stickler for limited sightlines for troops in buildings, and my primary opponent plays mostly Tyranids and likes city fights. I have found the limitation of sighting for troops in buildings a very interesting tactical challenge - and as far as I understand, reflective of actual experience in urban warfare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Iterator wrote:
primarch wrote:

Primarch

Curious - do you often play infantry-heavy games in dense BUAs? I am generally a stickler for limited sightlines for troops in buildings, and my primary opponent plays mostly Tyranids and likes city fights. I have found the limitation of sighting for troops in buildings a very interesting tactical challenge - and as far as I understand, reflective of actual experience in urban warfare.

Hi!

If I play in a dense "cityscape", I would probably enforce the limited view through the buildings, simply because I want to achieve a certain "feel" for such a game.

However that is in a very narrow set of circumstances, which isn't my usual "stock" battlefield, which is a mix of terrain types (refer to my latest battle report for an idea of my "stock" layout). In these scenarios I don't enforce it and it really doesn't change the overall ebb and flow of battle.

I favor siege type scenarios of wooded and mountainous terrain. Buildings are concentrated in "patches" which block line of sight amongst each other, but permit fire fights between units in the different buildings.

I'm pretty lenient with building line of light. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Back on topic, one house rule that we have experimented with is adopting the E:A victory conditions as "bonus VP" and reducing the number of objective markers slightly. Haven't had enough games in with this change yet to say for sure how it's working out, but it does seem to encourage faster games and more aggressive play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did think about making a little table which you would roll on for each objective to see if it was something unusual. Some results would make the objective worth more points, some would reduce their value to zero, some would remain the same and some would also grant a minor ability while it was in your control.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In regards to buildings and LoS, I am still not entirely clear on how buildings are supposed to work in the rules as they are currently written.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Iterator wrote:
Back on topic, one house rule that we have experimented with is adopting the E:A victory conditions as "bonus VP" and reducing the number of objective markers slightly. Haven't had enough games in with this change yet to say for sure how it's working out, but it does seem to encourage faster games and more aggressive play.

Hi!

I've been doing a variant of this for years. I rarely use 8 objectives (usually 4). It means longer and bloodier games, but I prefer that.

I agree that variant victory conditions is a definite plus to add to the system. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
I did think about making a little table which you would roll on for each objective to see if it was something unusual. Some results would make the objective worth more points, some would reduce their value to zero, some would remain the same and some would also grant a minor ability while it was in your control.

Hi!

I used this regularly. I mentioned it in my battle report.

A simple 1d6 table with small and meaningful "perks" can make objectives interesting and flavorful.

I can post what I use if desired. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I very much like that building 360 los rule I always thought the one side of building thing was daft.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deanmon wrote:
I very much like that building 360 los rule I always thought the one side of building thing was daft.

Hi!

Agreed. I rarely followed the stricter rules in this case. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about for the large buildings? I'm thinking of the crappy card only buildings that came with Titan Legions (I think).

I also think that the +2 to CAF for units in buildings givens them a big advantage already, 360 degree fire arcs only serve to entrench infantry in buildings even more.

I know I'm in the minority here, just voicing my disapproval...

Clickable links for Epic hijinks:
Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
What about for the large buildings? I'm thinking of the crappy card only buildings that came with Titan Legions (I think).

I also think that the +2 to CAF for units in buildings givens them a big advantage already, 360 degree fire arcs only serve to entrench infantry in buildings even more.

I know I'm in the minority here, just voicing my disapproval...

Hi!

I don't think we'll make this a "core" thing, but give people the option of keeping it simple and not use them if they choose not to.

I like the idea of more detailed rules for large buildings but sometimes I just like to ignore stuff like that. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules