Login |  Register |  FAQ

My Adeptus Titanicus Game.

Post subject: My Adeptus Titanicus Game.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the idea of the defender moving back, it's a neat image to think of titans barging each other out of the way.

The basic rules structure works and is fun, especially in campaign mode. It really does work like Necromunda, with your "gang" of titans developing unique personalities over time.

Several sections of the rules need fine tuning, however. The missions, VP system, upgrades, damage tables, and chaos marks and mutations need altering for some semblance of balance.

I don't recall, did the "Giant Killer" rule go in the released version? Whereby a smaller sized gang automatically gets some VPs? That is pretty essential.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (zombocom @ 14 Oct. 2008, 17:24 )

I don't recall, did the "Giant Killer" rule go in the released version? Whereby a smaller sized gang automatically gets some VPs? That is pretty essential.

I don't think so, but that'll go into Draft D.

For those who were wondering, if two battlegroups come up against each other, the idea was that the battlegroup with a smaller total 'size' rating would automatically gain the difference in 'size' between the two battlegroups as Reserve Points at the end of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought it was going to be a multiple of the difference? 2 or 3 times? Since otherwise a size 15 gang vs a size 5 gang, the size 5 only gets 10 points for playing yet will probably lose all their titans!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (zombocom @ 14 Oct. 2008, 18:22 )

I thought it was going to be a multiple of the difference? 2 or 3 times? Since otherwise a size 15 gang vs a size 5 gang, the size 5 only gets 10 points for playing yet will probably lose all their titans!

*giggles*

Yeah, two or three times is probably better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

while there's no infantry in it, would you consider a "Stomp" attack agaisnt them?
possibly with a traction bonus...

Experiments with casting
Experiments in boardgame design

ToEG Chaos Engines

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (madd0ct0r @ 15 Oct. 2008, 08:54 )

while there's no infantry in it, would you consider a "Stomp" attack agaisnt them?
possibly with a traction bonus...

Infantry's only use in Titanmunda is to give extra traction when crossing snowy areas.  :))

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gav Thorpe (Yep the one who wrote Adeptus Titanicus II) read the rules and has suggested Titans be allowed to smash through buildings/ruins.

I think that's a cool idea?

Also, what about allowing some types of weapon to destroy buildings?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I reckon smashing up / shooting buildings is a great idea - we often play on building-heavy boards, and the idea of smashing a Warlord through a building to get at that pesky Warhound on the other side is too good to miss!

Regards,
Reaver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some interesting stuff here, and that's just having had a skim through. IMO this is exactly what E:A is lacking, Titan detail and character. Great to see gamers still enthusing about the beasts that started the whole Epic thing. :agree:

One thought does come up as an original Adeptus Titanicus fan though; why have random damage tables for titans? This was one of the weaker points of the original game. The Space Marine 2nd Edition system of aiming tables was great fun and worked best of all I thought- the whole strategy of aiming to either disable a titan or going for the killer punch was awesome. In the latest edition I notice, titans simply have a set of hit/damage points- where's the fun in that I ask you?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ 24 Oct. 2008, 16:28 )

Gav Thorpe (Yep the one who wrote Adeptus Titanicus II) read the rules and has suggested Titans be allowed to smash through buildings/ruins.

I think that's a cool idea?

Definitely. Titans (or at least battle titans) do have the mass and durability to pull that off. Of course, there should be some element of risk, like getting stuck (foot drops through floor to basement) or, perhaps, some minor damage.

Also, what about allowing some types of weapon to destroy buildings?

Yep. Weapons resembling large artillery pieces (i.e. rocket launchers and those firing large shells) should be able to do it. And probably somme CC weapons could do it as well.  :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've played quite a few games of this - to my honour with it's creator - and I have to say it's great fun, campaign mode is brilliant and well worth it considering how quick and easy it is to pick up and go.
Look forward to more games and development.

www.spartangames.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I finally had a chance to look this over.  I like it.

It seems to me that it could be made completely compatible with EA 3.0 rules relatively easily.  I think I'd keep most of the 3.0 rules, but the maneuver and damage systems would be cool, detailed additions.  Possibly the charge/CC mods would be fun as well.  I don't think the damage systems would be all that tough to balance versus the EA system.

In terms of overall damage versus functionality, these rules degrade function with damage and allow for the possibility of a "lucky shot" kill if the same location gets hit multiple times, but they look like they will usually allow a titan to soak up a lot more punishment and remain partially functional.  An Alpha Strike would be almost as likely to destroy a titan as it is now, but damage spread out over several turns could be shrugged off at the expense of some movement and fire.  As another mitigating factor, breaking a titan with BMs would still be exactly as effective as it is now.

Without playing it, it doesn't look really far off but it does seem they would be tougher.  My guess is the trick to balancing it against the basic 3.0 rules would be adjusting the repair mechanic so it generates a similar level of durability and toughness.

Also, with reduced maneuverability, a slight increase in toughness might be tolerable.

I'd say non-titan WEs of 3DC or less could stay as-is, but larger ones could have similar damage tables and repair systems.

==

E&C:  I have a set of WE upgrades for the various races from the never-quite-completed experience system I came up with.  Some might be good for integration with this, especially things like the chaos mutations.  I'm hammered with pre-vacation/pre-holiday work so I don't have time to sort it today, but if you're interested PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe it was designed to have easy integration into E:A, the titans do soak a massive amount of damage before crumbling but a lucky shot can cripple one (Usually meaning not a huge amount of damage was sustained and therefore easier to repair). Accordingly a Warlord that turns it's attentions on a warhound will strip it's shields armour and functionality with ease (Little buggers don't always die though!).

www.spartangames.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (nealhunt @ 25 Nov. 2008, 15:24 )

It seems to me that it could be made completely compatible with EA 3.0 rules relatively easily.  I think I'd keep most of the 3.0 rules, but the maneuver and damage systems would be cool, detailed additions.  Possibly the charge/CC mods would be fun as well.  I don't think the damage systems would be all that tough to balance versus the EA system.

I definitely bore that in mind when writing the game engine, that with a tweak or two it would integrate with EA.

In essence, if you take the damage tables from this Titanicus game, and mix it with the modular weapon sets/points costs from AMTL 3.12, you could very well end up with an Epic game that still works.

I doubt it'd be balanced to start with, and it would never be as balanced as a straight 'hit points' system***, but it might be fun.

they look like they will usually allow a titan to soak up a lot more punishment and remain partially functional.

Yeah that can happen; We've seen Warhounds stubbornly refuse to die when repeatedly blasted by a Warlord Titan at point-blank range, but conversely we've occasionally seen Reaver Titans wasted after three failed saves all hit the same location.

I intend to work up some Ork Gargant rules next.

***But then, Epic doesn't really have that does it? Warlord Titans go *nuke* quite randomly... because it's fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks nice E&C!
Out of curiousity, what software did you use to lay this out? What font is that?

I am always tinkering with my homebrew rules, and want them look nicer than a basic word file.