Login |  Register |  FAQ

Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers

Post subject: Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With some friends we were thinking about buying a dlp 3d printer for our epic terrain.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B07QDYYDD ... op?ie=UTF8

Apparently resolution is pretty good, but we have two questions for you guys:
- is there a repository of decent looking terrain models which fit our epic 40k games?
- has anyone tried printing them with this technology? Which are the results and the main problems?

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I got that one about 10 days ago.

– thingverse has a lot of files on. A LOT. Keep in mind the terrain file does not need to be epic scale, the printer software will easily let you scale any file to epic scale. Buildings would also be very easy to make files of for yourself from scratch.
– yes, results are great. I'm using it to print epic models at half (3mm scale) size.
This was my first working file print (other than test file from printer) epic leman russ file from thingverse printed half size on a 0.05mm layer hight.

Problems: user error getting it work first time, mess, chemicals/ventilation. Spent the first two days with it sulking and saying i would send it back, then loved it after first good print. If anything goes wrong it is messy to clean up and re-set, washing uncured resin off with isopropyl alcohol. Until cured the resin gives off VOCs and the process works better at 25c (which will be a problem for me as the room i can get ventilation in to run it in will also be cold over winter).

Wish id got one years ago. Game changer for small scale wargaming. There are so many files available to print and 3d modelling non-complex-curved/non-organic stuff yourself is easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just starting out with a Photon S here. Doing 1/64 stuff at the moment, but I second the review above in full.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My son has recently bought one of these 3D printing gadgets and, after a few issues on the first day, has produced some amazing items for epic. Loads of files on Thingiverse (for vehicles, aircraft, infantry and titans) but this video might give you an idea of small scale terrain printing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1Jyvolvdg&t=5s

The examples are for 6mm American Civil War but give you an idea what can be done. I particularly like the corn field.

Phil